Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bluff Birds

I can't put out state stuff on COBIRDS but I think I can post it
here. I just returned from three and a half days in rainy Bluff, Utah
birding the San Juan River tams, olives and cottonwoods, and it is
highly recommended. Right now it is fairly easy to find Lucy's Warbler
and I think there could be cuckoos in a couple of weeks. Lucy's can be
heard from patches of dead cottonwoods-for instance where the channel
has moved, leaving them suddenly too dry. Good river birding spots
include the southeast edge of town and the BLM land, south of the
airport. A Summer Tanager pair is reportedly nesting in town as we
speak, although I didn't see them. Of course the area also has
Moab-like scenery, but with surprisingly few tourists, and doesn't seem
to have grown that much over the last twenty years.

BD